Monday, September 29, 2008

A Bit of Sad News

I have just a little bit of sad news to share. Two Wednesday nights ago, Jack and I were leaving for church and we heard a funny buzzing sound coming from our garage. I opened the door from the laundry room to the garage and heard it again. A little more clearly now. So, figuring it was just a wasp or something, I told Jack to run to the car door and jump in quickly. He walked about 2 steps and froze. He wouldn't move a muscle. I looked up toward the buzzing sound and saw a little tiny hummingbird flying up on the ceiling. He was drawn to the florescent light like a mosquito. We tried to move him outside, but he wouldn't move. It was getting closer and closer to 6:00, and we had to leave for church. So, I thought I'd leave him until Jon got home from church a few hours later. When we pulled into the driveway, I opened the garage door. No bird. Not anywhere. I figured he must have flown out as soon as I opened the door. I didn't think anymore about that little bird. Until Friday. Friday, Elin came over to play for the day. (I had really good intentions on posting pictures of the two of them, but neither Jack nor Elin stay still long enough to get a picture, especially together.) Jack, Elin, and I decided to go outside to play for just a little while before the rain. Jack wanted to play basketball and Elin went straight to the little motorized Jeep. I went over to help Elin into the Jeep and that's when I found it. The little hummingbird. Dead as a doornail. And stiff. So, I did what any girl would do. I left it for Jon to deal with when he came home. He just happened to come home for lunch that day. So, he and Jack grabbed shovels and off they went. They scooped up the little birdie and threw him into the empty lot next to us. No. They chunked him, and this is the way he landed. Beak down. I told you he was stiff. Jon said he looked just like a lawn dart. Poor little thing.

8 comments:

Sarah Hogan said...

I'm calling PETA.

Amy said...

I could hear this story 100 times and still get cracked up. The picture is priceless! You should enter it in a contest.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the little hummingbird, but the way you told the story and the picture - are so funny.

BTW, I miss the video of
Jackson in the car seat mimicking you!

You guys just make my day!
Love ya!
PJ

Angie Tyner said...

Hey Paula, scroll down the side of the page and it's the post entitled Blast from the Past. I think after a few days and a few posts, it archives them over to the right side of the screen. :) -Angie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the picture. It is priceless!! I needed that laugh tonight.

Five Musgraves at Ten Oaks said...

I love the pic! It reminds me of our hummingbird story when Jordan was in the 8th grade. He found a hummingbird on our deck that had gotten caught in one of those bagworm things! He brought the little bird inside and was carefully cleaning it off when the bird flew away and went straight to the ceiling fan! He really liked it there, but we finally convinced him that the outdoors was really better when we opened the top halves of the windows and he flew back outside--a much happier ending-haha! I will always laugh when I think of that little beak, nose-first in the dirt!

EVA MAHONEY said...

Badmitton anyone?

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA! So sue me animal activists! That's some funny stuff!