Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Burn, Baby Burn

That's what happened to my little black-eyed peas yesterday. I dumped them in a pot, turned the stove on high, and then walked Jack down to our neighbors to play. I meant to drop him off and come back to cook the peas, but I started talking. And talking. And talking for about an hour and a half before I remembered the little peas. I ran back to my house. Before I even opened the garage door, I smelled smoke. I ran into the house to find it completely filled with smoke. I opened all the doors and then called Amy to let her know my kitchen was still standing. She could see the smoke coming out of the doors all the way from her house. So now, my house absolutely STINKS! And not just stinks like I burned something in the kitchen. It stinks like someone has smoked in this house for a year. Or 5 years. I've washed, mopped, Lysol-ed, vacuumed, and on and on. And it still stinks.

5 comments:

The B's said...

That sounds like something I would do...not you!!! Is your pot completely ruined too???

Unknown said...

I was wondering about the pot too! Glad your house/kitchen is okay! One time I burned water (yep, burned water - I was steaming some brocolli in just an inch of water or so and the water evaporated before I knew it and burned the pot). I was able to get the pot sparkling clean with a scouring pad and lots of elbow grease!

Angie Tyner said...

The pot is still sitting outside on the back porch. I did was the lid REALLY good and decided to load it into the dishwasher anyway for one more wash, and when I unloaded the dishwasher this morning, it smelled like smoke from the lid. I may just throw the pot away!

Christi and Justin Tyner said...

Ohhh, the almighty chef angie burned something??? I have to tell justin about this..hahah! You know I'm just jealous right?!

Big Mama said...

ALL the peas are not black. Nanny (having grown up in the depression) would pick those puppies out, make cornbread and serve dinner! Gosh, I miss her.