Sunday, June 3, 2012

Menu and Meal Planning

After that last status update on facebook about making a menu, and the comments received from that post, I've decided to just write a blog post about it. I make a menu and stick to it. I cook breakfast 7 days a week, and dinner at least 5 days a week. I keep a breakfast rotation to make life easier especially in the wee hours of the morning. I usually don't make anything that takes more than an hour of active prep time during the week. I save the longer recipes and baking for the weekend.

So here's the menu...

DINNER
1. Gruyere, asparagus & ham frittata with cheese grits and whole wheat toast (we do eat breakfast for dinner sometimes:)
2. Grilled chicken & shrimp kabobs, grilled veggies - onion, okra, mushrooms, orzo pasta (kids minus mushrooms)
3. Chicken tacos with lettuce wraps (tortillas for kids), corn and avocado salad
4. Tuscan bean stew with whole wheat pitas and hummus
5. Arugula salad with grilled chicken, pears, sliced almonds, and goat cheese (kids will eat grilled chicken, pear slices, and yogurt, and I've added grilled chicken to the recipe)
6. Almond pesto chicken, asparagus, sweet potatoes
7. Black bean soup with cheese quesadillas
8. Barbecued chicken with dill fingerling potatoes and green beans
9. Hamburgers with provolone, grilled onions and avocado, sweet potato fries, and fruit
10. Ham & cheese sliders, chips and salsa

BREAKFAST
Monday - Oatmeal and fruit
Tuesday - Breakfast burritos, greek yogurt & granola parfaits, and fruit
Wednesday - Eggs, grits, and fruit
Thursday - Muffins and smoothies
Friday - Omelets, wheat toast, and fruit
Saturday - Pancakes, bacon, and fruit
Sunday - Oatmeal for Jon SUPER early in the morning, cereal for boys while I get ready for church:)

I divide out my grocery list into categories to make shopping easier.
Fresh (fruits and veggies)
Frozen
Meat
Refrigerated
Bakery
Dry goods
Misc.

We do have some rules that we try really hard to keep.
-We all eat together, all 5 of us, for breakfast and dinner, every day if possible. And I serve on real dishes for both, pretty much because our meal time together is a big deal, and I want my children to know how important that is. Lunch is 99.9% of the time on paper plates. :)
-No electronics of any kind at the table, including the TV in the living room.
-You eat what's on your plate. Of course there are a few exceptions. One time I made Jack eat a mushroom and he vomited in his plate. I now steer clear of mushroom for the kids. :) There are a few things that I know they're not going to like, such as salad, so I find ways to get around that.

It's really not much work and I actually spend less time and money at the grocery store when I have a plan. But sometimes we just make a run for pizza or chick-fil-a. :)

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Thanks for sharing. Inspiring.